2006-03-06

Washington DC sucks. Well, that's not entirely true. The crew at the 9:30 club is pretty cool, and they busted their butts yesterday, so I gotta give them credit for that. But the Washington Plaza hotel has to be the CRAPPIEST hotel ever. The front desk service was terrible, the room was creepy, the TV didn't work, 1/2 the lights in the room worked, the hot water barely came on... it just sucked. Then, to top it off, I went to find breakfast this morning. First I checked room service: $10 for eggs and toast, plus 10% sales tax plus 18% "service fee" plus $1.50 "delivery fee"... so now the $10 eggs are now $15. Fuck that.

SO I wandered over to K street... found two deli's on the corner and wandered in. I REALLY wanted an egg and cheese sandwich, and was delighted to see that the first deli offered "bagel omelets", which was close enough at that point. So when I ordered, the man behind the counter told me that they were no longer serving breakfast. I checked my watch and saw that it was 11:15 am. I asked "When do you stop serving breakfast?" and he replied "11 am." At which point I left.

I walked across the street and found a buffet type place, which had a deli type area in the back. When the woman working the skillet finally looked up and asked me what I wanted, I told her. And she said "We only serve breakfast until 11." At which point I left.

So my question is: when did the customer stop being right? How hard would it have been to throw two eggs on the grill and make me a sandwich? It's not like there was a large number of people in either place, and what did it get the establishment in the end to not make me breakfast? They didn't get my money, that's what.

My next stop was the hotel, which I had to check out of. So I got my bags and entered the elevator. On the way down I met up with Tyler, who I'm touring with, and we proceeded to the front desk. There, the woman behind the desk told Tyler that because he had no incidentals, he didn't need to check out. When he asked for a reciept anyway, she told him that the touring company was paying for the room. Tyler then explained to the woman that he wanted a piece of paper showing that the hotel was charging him $0 for incidentals that night, so that if there was a problem later on, he would have a paper trail. The woman then told him that the hotel "didn't do that." After hearing that, I didn't even bother to check out, because it would have ended in a shouting match.

Well, I think that's enought ranting for today. I can't wait to get to Nashville, where we have a day off. Iain said something about wandering around the many guitar stores down there, which sounds like a good time to me. I'll have to try not to spend any money...

No comments: